The PATA Centre
Chequers Bridge Centre
Tel: 01452 541244
Website: Click Here
Please check with the venue to confirm this event is running.
Exploring Ableism and SEND in the Early Years (25 Jan 2023)
Exploring Ableism and SEND in the Early Years
Ableism is the system of favouring typical minds and able bodies and this influences our practice in early years quite substantially. Concerns have been raised that children with SEND are often viewed as problems to be fixed and so neurodiversity empowers us to understand children's holistic development including strengths, differences and needs. This more in-depth course focuses on what ableism looks like in our early years' practice and provides alternative ideas for affirming children's learning and embracing differences in learning. Across this session, you will:
- come to understand what ableism means, and how it links to early years practice
- consider examples of ableism and the impact, including neurodivergent "masking"
- reflect on common myths about neurodivergence, and why these can be harmful to young children.
- explore how we can transform our practice to be neurodiversity affirming, including communication, social skills and play
Delivered by: Kerry Murphy who is an Early Years SEND Specialist and has worked with a local authority. Kerry has had strategic responsibility for the quality of SEND provision including developing the SENCO and SEND-Based training programmes. She lectures at a London University and is currently undertaking a PHD in early childhood early intervention.
Dates:25th January 2023
Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm (to be confirmed)
Venue: on-line webinar
Members £30 / Non member £55
Important additional Information:
- Please ensure you complete the 'attendee name' and 'attendee email address' (of the person attending) to ensure we send the Zoom Invitation to the correct email address. A contact telephone number for the attendee is also required in case we need to contact them.
- Please note zoom invitations will be sent out 24 hours before the course/meeting starts. We are unable to send out zoom invitations until your invoice has been settled.
- Payment is required within 7 days of the invoice date or 24 hours before a course/meeting starts (whichever is sooner). If payment cannot be made within this timeframe then please email firstname.lastname@example.org to agree an extension to your payment deadline, otherwise, your place on the course may be cancelled.
The PATA Centre
To sign up up for www.glos.info weekly newsletter, please click here.
Please mention www.glos.info when contacting this advertiser.
glos.info try to bring you details of the best local events. Amendments to the published details can occur, so please check with the venue if uncertain.